Titoli professionali: riconoscimento titoli conseguiti in Paesi Ue



EU professionals who have obtained their professional qualifications within the European Union and want to work in sectors which Italian law reserves for professionals registered in a register must apply for recognition.

The professions for which recognition must be sought from the Ministry of Justice are:

  • agricultural technician/graduate agricultural technician
  • social worker/junior social worker
  • actuary/junior actuary
  • lawyer
  • chartered accountant and accountant
  • agronomy graduate and forestry graduate / agronomist and forester / animal husbandry specialist / agricultural biotechnologist
  • geologist/junior geologist
  • surveyor and graduate surveyor
  • journalist
  • civil and environmental engineer, industrial engineer, information engineer, junior civil and environmental engineer, junior industrial engineer, junior information engineer
  • agricultural expert and graduate agricultural expert
  • industrial expert and graduate industrial expert
  • food technologist


Applications must be submitted in Italian, using the appropriate form, preferably typewritten.

The application for recognition and the relevant documentation may be sent by post to the address indicated at the top right of the application or sent by email to the address riconoscimentotitoli.dginterni.dag@giustizia.it or to the certified email (PEC) prot.dag@giustiziacert.it.

  • Clearly indicate the address (residence and domicile, if different), postcode, telephone number and email address, a PEC (certified email address) if possible.
  • Registration (or the possibility of registration) in the professional register should only be indicated if it is mandatory for practising (or accessing) the profession in the country in which the qualification was obtained.
  • An indication of sector and section is required under Presidential Decree No 328/2001 only for professional registers broken down into sections and sectors, if applicable.



  1. copy of a valid identity document;
  2. evidence of the specific professional qualification required for the activity for which you seek recognition and of the training course (duration of the course, list of examinations with indication of the place and date on which the exams were passed, or a specific indication of any exams that were accredited as having been passed in a different institution and/or country). The list of examinations is necessary to determine whether there are any substantial differences with regard to the training required in Italy.

b.1) For the profession of engineer , an uncertified copy and translation of the university examination programmes carried out in the home country must be submitted so that the training pathway can be compared with that required in Italy and any necessary compensatory measures applied, in accordance with Article 14(1) of Directive 2005/36/EC. As a guideline, the subjects are distinguished according to the area for which recognition is sought, according to the following criterion, for both Sections A and B of the professional register:

Sections A and B

Civil & environmental sector

  1. Engineering physics
  2. Technical architecture and architectural composition
  3. Town and country planning
  4. Topography
  5. Building sciences
  6. Construction techniques — Seismic engineering and technical building standards
  7. Geotechnical and technical foundations
  8. Bridge construction
  9. Construction of roads, railways, airports
  10. Hydrology and hydraulic constructions
  11. Technical installations in buildings and on land

Industrial sector

  1. Engineering physics
  2. Materials technology
  3. Mechanical technology
  4. Construction of machinery
  5. Power plants
  6. Chemical plants
  7. Electrical engineering and electrical installations
  8. Thermal hydraulics
  9. Industrial installations
  10. Project management

Information sector

  1. Software engineering
  2. Applied electronics
  3. Telecommunications systems and installations
  4. Radio frequency engineering
  5. Economics and business organisation
  6. Technology for control and automation
  7. Electronic technology


  1. A certificate issued by your home country’s competent authority (identified in accordance with Article 3(1)(d) of Directive 2005/36/EC) stating whether in that country the profession is regulated, which professional activities may be pursued on the basis of your formal qualifications, the requirements under the Member State’s legislation for obtaining the professional qualification (and whether you meet those requirements), and the level of the qualification regarding Article 11 of Directive 2005/36/EC; any certificate of registration (or certificate or self-declaration on the fulfilment of registration conditions) with the professional body if such registration is a prerequisite for practising or accessing the profession.
  2. If the profession is not regulated in your home country (and therefore the national law of your home country imposes no specific requirement for accessing or exercising the profession or using the professional qualification), you must provide evidence of regulated training (by means of a certificate issued by the competent authority) or of least one year of professional experience (performed in the last 10 years), by means of a certificate issued by the entity with which you carried out the professional activity, specifying the period and content of the services provided. If your work comes under the definition of a liberal profession, you must provide evidence of your work activity with the appropriate tax certification.
  3. A certificate attesting that there are no criminal or professional reasons disqualifying you from exercising the profession by the competent authorities of your country of origin and/or provenance.
  1. Certificate(s) relating to any professional experience gained in your country of origin and/or provenance after obtaining the qualification for which recognition is sought (including periods of practical training completed), with as detailed a description as possible of the activities carried out and the relevant period, issued by the body with which such experience was carried out. If your work comes under the definition of a liberal profession, you must provide evidence of your work activity with the appropriate tax certification.
  2. Any additional information relating to the qualification for which recognition is sought.
  3. Three EUR 16.00 revenue stamps (one for the application for recognition, one for the recognition order and one for the certified copy of the order). As an alternative to physically sending the revenue stamps, a copy of the receipt for the transfer of the stamp duty due (EUR 48) may be sent with the documentation attached to the request for recognition, to be made out to: ‘Bilancio dello Stato Capo VIII, Capitolo 1205, art. 1’ BIC: BITAITRRENT - IBAN: IT 07Y 01000 03245 348 008 1205 01. IMPOSTA [TAX]: Imposta di bollo [Stamp duty]’. The reference must include the first name, surname, tax code and: ‘richiesta di riconoscimento - Direttiva 2005/36/EC’ [application for recognition under Directive 2005/36/EC’].

If, at the end of the procedure, you wish to ask for the return of any original documents or certified copies, , it is best to request this at the time of the initial application, including an uncertified photocopy of all the documents you wish to have returned.


The professional and academic qualifications for which recognition is sought may be submitted as uncertified or certified copies of the original.

If the copy is certified, pursuant to Articles 46 and 48 of Presidential Decree No 445 of 28 December 2000, the data relating to points (a), (b) and (d) must be provided by means of a self-certification issued by the person concerned in accordance with the attached template, specifying the date and place of individual self-certified details (e.g. date and place of passing an examination or obtaining a certificate).

Please note that in this case the Office may – under Article 71 of the Presidential Decree – carry out a random check, involving the competent authorities.

It is sufficient to submit an uncertified translation of the documentation.

Professional experience must be documented only by original documents or certified copies of the original.

Pursuant to Article 3(1)(a) of Directive 2005/36/EC ‘regulated profession’ means: a professional activity or group of professional activities, access to which, the pursuit of which, or one of the modes of pursuit of which is subject, directly or indirectly, by virtue of legislative, regulatory or administrative provisions to the possession of specific professional qualifications; in particular, the use of a professional title limited by legislative, regulatory or administrative provisions to holders of a given professional qualification shall constitute a mode of pursuit.



If the examination of the application reveals a lack of training in relation to subjects considered to be essential to the pursuit of the profession in Italy, the person concerned is required to pass an aptitude test or to complete an adaptation period (the latter being excluded for the professions of lawyer, chartered accountant and auditor). For the purpose of assessing this compensatory measure, a person’s studies and professional experience, if properly documented, are also assessed with a view to potentially minimising the measure.

Did you find what you were looking for?